20 May 2004

When will they end?


I am still keping busy trying to finish projects that I seem unable to start any significant new ones.

For instance, I am still working on Search Committee stuff, trying to fill two more positions. We're arranging on-site interviews for two more candidates to come for the first week of June, with another one possible the second week of June. At this rate, the Search Committee work won't be done until the end of next month / early July.

I still have three of my four Honours students who have yet to hand in their final draft. One more should be done tomorrow, though.

And I still have analyses to do of my pilot project for teaching technology. And I haven't been able to find time to order teaching supplies for my summer students, which is surprisingly time-consuming. And then there are the manuscripts I should write, the grant proposals I should write... yikes!

I'm also trying to accomplish all this while I am simultaneously preparing to visit the Austin area on the weekend and early next week. I'll be visiting my colleague Virginia Scofield, then spending Monday networking with the faculty in the Section of Neurobiology, among others. I'm giving an informal seminar, so I'm prepping my PowerPoint slides right now.

People have been asking me, "Are you going to go back to Canada for the summer?" (or "on vacation," or some such). My stock response is to laugh and say, "I have real work to do."

No comments: